Nac lidot! Let's Fly !

Forums / Forumi

Forum Home > General Discussion > Practical exercises to pass ICAO Operational Level 4 - Second exercise

Aviagroup Eduard
Site Owner

Dear Friend,

What have we found for you in the newspapers this week?

GOOD WEEK FOR:

A British man, who has won the 'world's best job' and been appointed as the new caretaker of an Australian tropical island. The man, aged 34 succeed from a total of 35,000 applicants from around the world. The six-month position, advertised as "the best job in the world", requires him to live on Hamilton Island, on Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.

The ‘mile high’ club, as couples could soon be able to tie the knot in mid-air after the airline EasyJet asked permission for its pilots to be allowed to marry passengers. The local town councils in the UK are responsible for marriage registrations, but a decision is yet to be made.

Girl power, as Kenyan women decided to issue a sex ban to their husbands in protest against infighting within the national unity government. The Women's Development Organisation coalition campaigners also asked the wives of the Kenyan president and the prime minister to join in the week-long ban.

A British man, who smashed the world record for “keepy uppy” (keeping a football in the air) after tapping it up and down for a marathon 24 hours. He beat the previous record of 19 hours and 30 minutes.

BAD WEEK FOR:

A British shopper, who was asked for ID to buy teaspoons. She was left baffled after she was asked for proof of age to buy a set of teaspoons at her local store. The shop assistant reportedly informed the customer that someone had once been murdered with a teaspoon, and therefore age identification was now required.

A senior Police detective, who was arrested for robbing a bank using his police issue pistol - and making his getaway in an unmarked patrol car.

A Good Samaritan, who was given a parking ticket - after he pulled over to help a heart attack victim in Germany. The man spotted the woman collapse in the street and pulled up to give her help. After administering first aid and calling for an ambulance he returned to his car to find the ticket.

A coughing Italian judge, who cleared a panicking courtroom when he told lawyers: "I've just got back from Mexico." The judge said he had never seen so many lawyers agree on anything in court so quickly but they all decided to adjourn and get as far away as possible. The judge agreed to see a doctor and has now gone into quarantine.

QUOTATION OF THE WEEK:

A positive mental attitude is being able to go shopping for a bathing suit and not become depressed afterward.

FACTS OF THE WEEK:

* Canola oil is actually rape-seed oil but the name was changed for marketing reasons

* A giraffe can clean its ears with its 50cm (20 in) tongue.

* Sharks are immune to all known diseases

* Moscow weathermen can be fined for inaccurate weather forecasting

* Children laugh about 400 times a day, while adults laugh on average only 15 times a day

PICTURE OF THE WEEK:

Showing men are almost as good as women, but not quite, in a running festival in China. Take a look here http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3299958.html

*Why almost? Male racers must wear heels at least 8cm high while women have to wear 10cm stilettos the logic being women are more used to wearing high heels.

HOMEWORK:

So, that’s the news for this week. Now here are the answers to last month’s SIMILES homework which I sent you:

PART A:

1. as drunk as a lord

2. as blind as a bat

3. as mad as a hatter

4. as deaf as a post

5. to eat like a horse

6. as hard as iron

7. as dry as a bone

8. as strong as an ox

9. to drink like a fish

10. as bold as brass

11. to behave like a bull in a china shop

PART B:

1. The children behaved very well yesterday. Yes, they were as good as gold.

2. Paul never has too much to drink. Yes, he’s as sober as a judge.

3. Didn’t she blush when she smiled at him! Yes, he went as red as a beetroot.

4. Bill never says a word, does he? No, he’s as quiet as a mouse.

5. I couldn’t believe how little she weighs. Yes, she’s as light as a feather.

PART C: What do these sentences mean?

1. The exam was as easy as falling off a log. It was very easy.

2. I slept like a log. I slept very heavily.

3. Paul was as sick as a dog all night. Paul vomited all night.

4. The goalkeeper was a sick as a parrot after the match. The goalkeeper was very miserable after the match.

5. When she heard the news Maria went as white as a sheet. She went very pale (i.e. she was shocked)

6. The lady’s hands were as white as snow. Her hands were very fair (i.e. they were not used to working)

And the riddle:

The following number is the only one of its kind. 8,549,176,320

Can you work out what is so special about it? A clue – it only works in English!

The answer:

It's the only number that has all the digits arranged in alphabetical order

Eight Five Four Nine One Seven Six Three Two Zero

This week’s homework is called “Binomials”. Binomials are fixed expressions where two words are joined by a conjunction, for example black and white or up and down.

PART A: Connect words from Table A with words from Table B using “and” to make binomial expressions.

Table A:

give   Prim    Rant   rough   wine

part   Odds   Rack   leaps   pick

Table B:

parcel    Rave        Take        ruin    ready

proper   Choose   bounds   dine   ends

PART B: Now use the expressions from PART A above to fill the gaps.

1. The hotel was a bit _____ and _____, but it was cheap and convenient.

2. The new boss is very _____ and _____. The old one was more informal and easy-going.

3. The secret of a successful marriage is _____ and _____; being ready to compromise.

4. Paul was furious and started to _____ and _____ at us.

5. Paul’s English progressed in _____ and _____ during the course at Mayflower College.

6. Hard work is _____ and _____ of learning a language; there’s no other way.

7. My friends in London always _____ and _____ me at the best restaurants.

8. The old house has gone to _____ and _____ now. I can’t afford to restore it.

9. It’s a very flexible course; you can _____ and _____ which classes you want to attend.

10. There’s a lot of _____ and _____ to discuss before we finish the meeting, but there is nothing major or very important.

And finally, I have two riddles for you to solve:

RIDDLE 1:

You are on an island in the middle of a lake. The lake is in a remote part of the country and there has never been a bridge connecting the island to the mainland. Every day a tractor gives rides around the island. Puzzled as to how the tractor had arrived onto the island, you ask around and find out that the tractor was not transported to the island by boat or by air. Nor was it built on the island

Explain how the tractor got there?

RIDDLE 2:

A house with two occupants, sometimes one, rarely three.

Break the walls, eat the boarders, then throw away me.

What am I?

Have a lovely week!!

All the best

Aviagroup Edward

www.aviatori.lv

--
May 9, 2009 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.